Share this story

All’s well at Juventus as Allegri to remain as boss for 2 more years

Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri

Don’t worry for Massimiliano Allegri. He is staying put as manager of Juventus.

Even though he failed to guide Juve to a landmark treble the season just concluded, he got the assurance he will remain their chief bench tactician.

In fact, that assurance turned into reality on Wednesday after he signed a new deal over the next two years, meaning he will remain in Turin until 2020.

The fresh contract will be worth €7 million per year as the 49-year-old hopes to regroup the team for another massive run in the next campaign.

In their statement, the club said: “Side by side, Juventus and Allegri have created history and legend. Now is the time to make the next step forwards together.’’

Allegri, who guided Juve to a sixth straight Scudetto as well as the final of the Champions League in 2016-17, was linked with Arsenal earlier in the season, but talks disintegrated into thin air after Arsene Wenger was retained manager by the London outfit.

Now that he will be back at the helm, Allegri promised to improve Bianconeri after last Saturday’s 4-1 defeat to Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

He admitted his men “let go psychologically’’ after falling 2-1 behind in the CL final against the la Liga side, thus their dream of a treble was quashed after they won the Serie A and Coppa Italia titles.

But things seem all well now. Past is past. Forget what happened at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff. Juventus, under another season with the man from Livorno, Italy, will move on.

This early, Allegri is working on deals for Sampdoria forward Patrik Schick and Lazio’s Keita Balde, as well as for Federico Bernadeschi away from Fiorentina.

Allegri, who also steered Juve to three successive doubles in 2015, 2016 and 2017, will also try to hire one high-profile player to his roster.

And when asked whom he desires to wear the Juve uniform next term, he named with Paris Saint-Germain’s Angel Di Maria or Bayern Munich’s Douglas Costa as his targets.

To beef up the central midfield, Allegri, who himself patrolled the midfield when he was still a player, has his eyes focused on Lyon’s Corentin Tolisso, Monaco’s Fabinho and Liverpool man Emre Can.

It’s so far so good as far as Allegri’s vision for the coming campaign is concerned.

He told his players to use their heartbreak in Cardiff to become a better team and remain Italy’s leading club in the coming season, as well as keep their status as one of Europe’s major forces in football.

“We begin next season determined to have another great Champions League campaign, win the Scudetto and the Coppa Italia. We need to gather our thoughts, fire up our energy and fight back, because we can learn from this and improve,’’ he said.

Well said, Massimiliano. Che fico! (That’s cool!).

See Also